Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Little Italy


Summertime brought copious amounts of cherry tomatoes (from memory Tiny Tim went in the ground - that's what my pop grows too). I was also privileged to be given some seedlings of a local family's heirloom green tomatoes - which were a delicious (and aesthetically pleasing) addition to salads and Napolitana sauces. I couldn't help but think of the movie Fried Green Tomatoes every time I picked some. Basilico is also plentiful. The four bushes in the garden are more than enough for picking as I need in the kitchen. Like two Italian nonnas, Mrs M and I sat at my kitchen table the other night, filling colanders with leaves from the harvest, above. The room smelled delicious! And we've split the yield to make pesto, pasta/tomato sauces, and will dry the rest to use in the winter. Buono! Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment