Monday, April 19, 2010

Red Raspberries


Autumn is the best time for raspberries here. They do try to fruit in spring, but its really too hot for the little morsels. Now they are plump and sweet. I think they taste better at the end of the day. I wonder weather its the same starch-converting-to-sugar thing that goes on with peas (I've read you should pick peas at the end of the day for this reason). I was picking some for desert by torchlight the other night - they were chilled and so sweet. I have to share with Molly - she finds them rather tasty and has learned to pull them off their cores one by one. I mistakenly pruned half my canes to the ground in summer - I did an experiment as I wasn't sure when to prune... shouldn't have cut them to the ground - i'd have twice as many raspberries if I'd left them alone. Note to self for next year: leave raspberries 'til winter. The more vigorous neighbouring youngberries are growing everywhere, and are being transplanted to climb the chookyard fences. Gosh I hope they do as well over there, we had so many huge and delicious fruit last spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment